Sunday, February 20, 2011

Wintercount

This year at Wintercount was really fun because my sister came with her three girls. It was so awesome to share the gathering experience with her. She said she loved it and is already planning on coming to Rabbitstick in the fall in Idaho. This was the sunset our first night there.

I spent the week playing babysitter to Amelia and Maggie and we had lots of fun playing in the dirt and walking around camp. I didn't take any classes this year because of the babysitting, but I did bring projects of my own that I wanted to finish. I was able to complete ironwood chopsticks, a gourd canteen, and fix my sleeping bag. I also got closer to finishing a wood bowl, knife sheath, and tire sandals and managed to snag some free gourds to new projects. As always I brought my school work and was able to find some time to study.
I did find time to compete in the atlatl distance throwing competition. For those of you who don't know what an atlatl is, it is a primitive hunting tool that predates the bow and arrow. Essentially it is a stick with a hooked end that you use to throw a long flexible spear/dart. Its function extends the length of your arm so you can throw with much greater force for longer distances. I am still working on making my own distance atlatl so I used one made by one of the instructors. I was able to beat my record by 33 feet for a new personal best of 248 feet. I did win the competition for the second year in a row and my prize was a basketmaker style atlatl. I figure if I make my own and get it really dialed in and practice with it that I will be able to hit at least 275.

examples of atlatls: the top is one that I am working on, the middle was my prize for winning last year, the bottom is my prize for this year

1 comment:

  1. A talent I didn't know you had. Congratulations on winning.

    ReplyDelete