Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ridgeline Hike

Today my friends and I did the ridgeline from Flatiron to Carney Spring. It is a little over 12 miles. You begin by ascending 2800 feet in a little over 2 miles to get on top of Flatiron and then hike 10 miles over little peaks before passing Superstition Peak and descending down to Carney Springs. The worst part of the hike for me was the climb up. Its right at the start of the day and it really is a push. The rest of the day is fun. Just below Superstition Peak, I took a 20 minute nap which completely rejuvenated me and the last 4-5 miles were terrific. I got ahead of the group and stayed there for the rest of the hike. It took me exactly 8 hours to hike from one car to the other. Pretty good for a day hike but not my fastest which happened on the 13 mile stretch of the Tahoe Rim Trail from Spooner to Kinsgbury which I did in 7 hours including a one hour nap.

You can see the Ridgeline we hiked in front of us. This is about four miles into the hike so we still had a ways to go.



Taking in the view of the Superstion Mountains as we hiked.



Waiting for the rest of the group to finish by hiding in the shade of the truck bed.



Hiding from the highway patrol as we headed back to pick up the other vehicles. They didn't need to do this since its legal to ride in the back of trucks in Arizona so long as you are seated on the actual truck bed. I once rode all the way from Payson to Mesa in the back of Bishop's truck after a hike (it took about an hour down a good size highway; it was a lot of fun but really windy and I got sunburned). This time I decided to ride in the cab.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures of the hike. You are right... the first stretch is super hard. Thanks for encouraging me up it, because I sure loved the rest of the hike. Maybe next time I'll even be able to keep up with you.

    ReplyDelete